University of Surrey 16th May 9:30-16:30
Postgraduate researcher and members or research staff from other Universities welcome
email: RDP@surrey.ac.uk to register
Keen to engage the public with your research but not sure where to begin?
An engaging researcher is just like any other researcher – with one important difference. Engaging researchers go out of their way to involve the public with their research. They open up opportunities for others to get involved, provide new perspectives on the value of their work, and stimulate people to be curious about the world of research – and why it matters.
This one day highly interactive workshop has been designed for researchers who are new to, or have some experience with public engagement. During the workshop, participants will:
- Explore how public engagement can benefit you, your research, research funders and the public with whom you engage.
- Discover the huge range of activities you can use to engage the public with your research.
- Investigate the needs of different publics, explore potential engagement barriers, and identify solutions for overcoming them.
- Explore methods for evaluating the impact and success of public engagement activities.
- Put your knowledge and skills into action to design and plan a public engagement activity.
- Examine which public engagement activities complement your current skills and what will help you develop your skills further.
- Learn how to take the next steps in finding public engagement contacts and opportunities.
- Collaborate with peers from a range of disciplines.
Previous participants said about this workshop:
“Very enjoyable, useful and thought provoking”
“Good starting point for thinking about how to use public engagement with my own research, about potential barriers and ways to overcome them.”
“It was fun and definitely engaging!!! Extremely worthwhile”
“This is the best public engagement course I have been on. It was fully interactive and not a lot of being talked at! Much better to use our own initiative!”
“Rekindled the ‘dreamer’ in me – sparked a few innovative ideas and showed that I can be engaging and it is possible to hold your own public engagement event”