WHAT: A 3-day experiential workshop for research staff at institutions in the South East
WHEN: Wednesday 23, Thursday 24 and Friday 25 July 2014 (09:00 – 17:00 on all three days)
WHERE: University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton (the course is fully catered by the University of Sussex)
About the course:
‘I attended the ‘Leadership in Action’ course expecting to pick up a few tips, the odd insight. I left 6 inches taller, with increased confidence, team skills and satisfaction’
This three day course is designed to offer insights into leadership. Leadership in Action allows research staff to explore and develop their leadership skills. Participants have the opportunity to look at relevant theory, to practice their unique leadership styles and to receive feedback.
This programme takes an experiential approach. It includes presentations on leadership theory, but for the most part researchers actively participate in the sessions and activities.
Benefits for reasearch staff
This programme can help participants to:
- explore leadership in theory and in practice
- understand personal strengths and weaknesses
- recognise achievements and how to use these to create future success
- understand the impact of leadership styles on those who are being led
- influence people towards a common goal/purpose
- recognise personal values and how these affect decisions
- identify how these skills can be of benefit
- receive feedback on personal leadership styles and identify how these can be developed further.
- work with a team of experienced facilitators from a range of career backgrounds
- engage with researchers from a variety of disciplines, backgrounds and career stages
Feedback from past courses shows that 96% of participants would recommend the programme to other researchers.
‘The content sessions were, without exception, interesting and gave real insights into different elements of leadership… course tutors were incredibly knowledgeable and approachable, and their diverse backgrounds gave real depth to the course content.’
‘Intensive, draining, useful, tiring, inspiring, motivational, best course that no one whether a researcher or academic should do without!’
‘In the challenge we practised what we were learning in a completely unstructured way, and is why the course is not merely excellent but superlative.’
Apply for a place
Apply for your place by completing the application online form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1st1oUYKZtTQwCAUAWvl6C-idNVG1RtyA_M3APii-n84/viewform?usp=send_form